We are now ready for the qualifying expedition and are starting on Saturday 12th September at Croston train station. We will be finishing at Beacon Country Park car park.
Saturday 12th September
The qualifying expedition will start at Croston train station (Croston, Leyland PR26 9AA) on Saturday 12th September. We will be starting at 8.30am and each group will leave quarter of an hour after that. Please could parents drop off and leave, as it will give us time to check bags and brief them before the next group arrives.
Group 1 arrive at 8.30am for a 8.45 departure
Group 1 -Holly D – Katie O – Grace H – Lizzie P – Rebecca M
Group 2 arrive at 8.45am for a 9.00am departure
Group 2 – Sean H – William J – Alex W – Louie K – Joe B – Jake C
Group 3 arrive at 9.00am for a 9.15am departure
Group 3 – Harriet S – Isobel B – Maddie I – Jake S – Patrick A
Group 4 arrive at 9.15am for a 9.30am departure
Group 4 – Joe FA – Sam M – Ollie R – Jack V
The groups will be walking on their own but with remote supervision. We will meet them at most checkpoints and they will be in touch with us via text.
On Saturday night they will camp at Charity Farm campsite in Wrightington, but if you would rather your child not stay over then we can arrange for you to collect them once they have prepared camp and cooked their evening meal.
Mike will be on site during the evening and you can contact him on 07748621533 during the expedition.
Sunday 13th September
After eating a warm breakfast, dropping their tents, packing rucksacks and tidying up the site, they will leave for Ashurst Beacon. However they will finish in the main car park for Beacon Park, near the Beacon Park Cafe, Skelmersdale, Wigan WN8 7RZ
When they get to Ashurst Beacon we will contact parents as they will be about half an hour away.
We will take all the equipment off them at the car park and they will need to find out if they have passed the expedition or not before they leave.
- 1 pair of walking boots (broken in)
- 2 pairs of walking socks
- 2-3 t-shirts
- Thermal t-shirt (optional)
- 2 fleece tops or similar
- 2 walking trousers (warm, NOT jeans or cotton type)
- Nightwear (not required for practice)
- Warm hat &/or sunhat (as appropriate)
- 1 pair gloves
- 1 pair shorts (if appropriate)
- Sunblock (if appropriate)
- Waterproof over-trousers
- Jacket/coat (waterproof & windproof)
- 1 pair gaiters (optional)
- Sleeping bag
- Waterproof compression stuff sack (5/10/15 litre) not essential, use bin bags to keep all equipment dry)
- Head torch and spare batteries
- Personal first aid kit, including pain killers, antihistamine tablets etc
- Expedition food (including emergency rations)
- Water bottle
- Knife, fork, spoon or Spork
- Box of matches (in waterproof container), please no lighters))
- Wash kit/personal hygiene items
- Small quantity of money (optional)
- Notebook and pen/pencil
- Insect repellent
- Spare boot laces (optional)
PPE – Personal Protective Equipment
- Face mask
- Small bottle of sanitiser gel
- Protective gloves
- Packed lunch
- Evening Meal
- Water (1 litre)
- Packed lunch
- Water (1 litre)
We will supply the following kit:
Single person tent
Maps – Laminated showing the route they are walking
Group first aid kit
Emergency PPE kit
Our COVID Safety measures will include:
- A tent for each participant.
- Each participant will have their own map (laminated A4 sheet)
- Each participant will have their own cooking gear and will cook their own food
- Staff will stay a safe distance away and participants will be supervised for distancing – social distancing will be considered and applied in every situation
- All expedition equipment will be quarantined for 72 hours after use
To see a copy of our COVID-19 Policy and Risk Assessment please click the link below