We are now planning the Bronze practice and qualifying expeditions.
The practice will take place on Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th May 2021. As this is before the lockdown restrictions change on May 17th, we will not be able to sleep overnight.
The qualifying expedition will tale place on Saturday 26th June and Sunday 27th June in Rivington area. This page will be updated with the qualifying information after the practice expedition to avoid confusion.
We require the following consent form before the expedition to make sure we know any medical conditions, and the information will only be shared with the adults on the expedition. Please be honest with the forms, if your child has asthma, let us know, if your child has an allergy, let us know.
Saturday 15th May
All groups to arrive at St Annes Parish Centre at 9am. They will be briefed and will be walking routes that they have helped to make. The groups will be walking with a leader for the first day, the leader will show them how to navigate and will give them plenty of tips on staying safe and respecting the countryside.
When they return to St Anne’s after six hours of walking (hopefully) they will set up a tent and then cook a meal. There will be a prize for the best looking and most original meal.
If you need to speak to a leader during the weekend, please contact Mike. You can contact him on 07748621533 during the expedition.
Sunday 16th May
Arrive at St Anne’s Parish Centre for 9am prompt.
They will be walking on their own, but with the leaders meeting them at check points and monitoring them along the routes with remote supervision. We will meet them at most checkpoints and they will be in touch with us via text.
They should finish about 4pm but might be earlier or later depending on how well they have navigated and walked.
We will take all the equipment off them at St Anne’s before they leave.
Even though they are not camping overnight, it is important that they bring all the equipment they will have on their qualifying expedition.
- 1 pair of walking boots (broken in)
- 2 pairs of walking socks
- 2-3 t-shirts
- Thermal t-shirt (optional)
- 2 fleece tops or similar
- 2 walking trousers (warm, NOT jeans or cotton type)
- Nightwear (not required for practice)
- Warm hat &/or sunhat (as appropriate)
- 1 pair gloves
- 1 pair shorts (if appropriate)
- Sunblock (if appropriate)
- Waterproof over-trousers
- Jacket/coat (waterproof & windproof)
- 1 pair gaiters (optional)
- Sleeping bag
- Waterproof compression stuff sack (5/10/15 litre) not essential, use bin bags to keep all equipment dry)
- (Head) torch and spare batteries
- Personal first aid kit, including pain killers, antihistamine tablets etc, inhaler (plus spare for leader)
- Expedition food (including emergency rations)
- Water bottle
- Knife, fork, spoon or Spork
- Box of matches (in waterproof container), please no lighters))
- Wash kit/personal hygiene items
- Small quantity of money (optional) They are not allowed in shops, but we do allow them to get something when they finish if they are waiting around)
- Notebook and pen/pencil
- Insect repellent
- Spare boot laces (optional)
PPE – Personal Protective Equipment
- Face mask
- Small bottle of sanitiser gel
- Protective gloves
- Packed lunch
- Evening Meal (this will be cooked before they leave on the practice)
- Water (1 litre)
- Breakfast (not required for practice)
- Packed lunch
- Water (1 litre)
We will supply the following kit:
Single person tent or two, three person tents if the rules are relaxed.
Maps – Laminated showing the route they are walking
Group first aid kit
Emergency PPE kit
Our COVID Safety measures will include:
- A tent for each participant (unless the rules have been relaxed and they are able to share)
- Each participant will have their own map (laminated A4 sheet)
- Each participant will have their own cooking gear and will cook their own food. unless the rules are relaxed and they can share preparing a meal.
- Staff will stay a safe distance away and participants will be supervised for distancing – social distancing will be considered and applied in every situation
- All expedition equipment will be quarantined for 72 hours after use
To see a copy of our COVID-19 Policy and Risk Assessment please click the link below